Pages

Tuesday, April 13, 2010

An Email Exchange with a Haitian-American Friend

Hi Bob,
So nice to hear from you. We got back from haiti last tuesday with a delegation of 18 people including Lisel who went back with us for a 2nd time since the earthquake. It was a great trip; we have 3 social workers of which 2 were haitian americans. They provided 2 day of post trauma workshop to a group of teachers from our school and others from other schools. As I sat in my room which was near the area where the workshop was being held, I couldn't hold my tears listening to their ordealls during and after the quake. Some of them are sleeping in these horrendous conditions. Fortunately we received 6 large tents from gutherie load of 40. We used 3 of them to house the children of ma petite ecole n EISA as they returned to school yesterday; 1 is used to provide shelter to our teachers ; one will be used as a clinic facilityand the last one was donated to a woman in la plaine who is providing shelter to 9 infants most of them are orphans.
I didn't write to you or Amy yet as Iam feeling overwhelmed and even a sense of hopelessness. It saddened to see that haiti as usual is being used by the international organizations to make money despite of the sufferings of the people. I reach a point where I questioned whether it matters what we do; it is like trying to put a band aid on a cancer. I am not sure I can go on giving a message of hope to the people at the village when we are limited financially. For ex right now, the rain has kicked in. Hundreds of people have taken refuge at night under the gazebo while their tents are flooded; there are easy solutions that can alleviate their conditions, but money is needed the rubbles in town could be used to heighten the level of the ground; but where are the ngos with so much that is given for haiti. Where does one turn to file a complaint on behalf of the people of haiti; I guess nowhere right? I had it Bob. it is so unfair to children who don't understand why it is happening to them. Any way I'm sorry for pouring my heart like this. I guess we all have our breaking point.
On the summer program, I am not sure yet what we are going to do this summer as we need to provide living space for volunteers; they can no longer sleep in tents as the heat will be too unbearable. Right now the house can perhaps accomodate 4 to 5 volunteers until we expand. You are welcome to join us anytime. It is possible that I returned for memorial weekend and thereafter at the end of july through august. We will continue tobrainstorm on summer program which will probably be of a duo approach summer camp for children with volunteers assistance.
------Original Message------
From: Robert Belenky
To: Marie Yoleine Gateau-Esposito
To: James Philemy
Subject: Plans
Sent: Apr 13, 2010 10:02 AM

Dear Yoleine and James,

My current plan is to go to Haiti this summer, hopefully in conjunction with a Neges program whether a work camp, a children's camp or whatever.

I would appreciate your keeping me up to date on plans.

By the way, Gody is coming up here to Hanover, New Hampshire to speak to our retirement community and various schools.  If you want help in setting up something like that for Neges, just ask!

Warmest regards,


Bob

No comments: